RIM recently announced the next significant update to their client-to-client, massive addictive and (anti-social) messaging tool, Blackberry Messenger. Its likely the latest version of the messaging tool will be pushed to OS6 devices in the near future.
The new Blackberry Messenger 6 is said to bring a lot of features and performance improvements. Reports reveal that BBM 6 will allow users to play games and use their BBM names for maintaining game profiles.
It will also allow users to cross chat with other BBM users even without adding them to the BBM list. To do so, BBM users will require the BBM username or Blackberry PIN of the other user which isn’t readily available in case of random users.
The Blackberry Messenger 6 download, when released, will be available for Blackberry smartphones running Blackberry OS 5 and later releases.
The added Blackberry Messenger 6 features include:
- The ability to play games and use your BBM user name as your gamer name.
- Cross chats between users over BBM (and it looks like you and the other parties playing don’t have to be on each other friends list)
- Also, when we complete tasks on these new games our status will change to show what task we completed (sounds like its similar to the “show what i am listening to tab” and will probably have an option to share with your BBM contacts or hide it from your contacts)
- It also seems like on BBM6, BBM groups will be able to handle more members
- The new BBM6 will be supported on all devices running OS 5+ (for all you 8700 users!)
For these details aren’t official yet, we would suggest you to take it with a pinch of salt. However, we are keeping our eyes peeled for more details and will hit back with a post as they surface. Stay tuned.
Fingers crossed, RIM will disclose more details regarding BBM 6 at the Blackberry World Conference (May 3-5) in Orlando, Florida.
More at: BBM6.